Saturday 6 February 2010

"Sweet as, Bro"

NZ 38 whisked me on to ZL-land where much has changed - Newmarket railway station has moved a few hundred metres, and they've even changed the name of my favourite local cafe.

Fortunately, they still serve up latte IN A BOWL...



I don't know if this is just an Auckland thing or a wider Kiwi thing - they certainly play up the Kiwi identity with that national icon a "silver fern leaf" in the froth...



After a couple of days in the office, I am now enjoying some R&R on the weekend in the Southern Hemisphere summer.

Today I took a trip on the ferry to Devonport...


View Larger Map

which is a really nice little "seaside town" offering an escape from the city environment in Auckland (not that Auckland is at all oppressive).

Looking back from the ferry gave a good view of the Auckland skyline, including the amazing Sky Tower...



Looking North-East, I could just make out Classique - the 22 meter cutter operated by Captain Mel - she is swinging from her mooring and only just visible in this snap from my iPhone (inside the red circle).



I sailed on Classique on an earlier trip to ZL in 2007...



Here's Classique at anchor in Man o' War Bay off Waiheke, where we spent the night...



Back to today's visit...

I walked along to North Head



where there are the remains of some old gun emplacements, protecting Auckland harbour from invasion. Nowadays the guns are rusty relics and the headland gives good views over to Rangitoto (the volcanic island that dominates the harbour)...



and back towards Auckland...



I finished the trip with a walk up to the Devonport Naval Base and visited the Navy Museum which was worth the walk - especially as entry is free!

After the ferry trip back to Auckland and some snooping around the NZ America's Cup boats, I strolled back to the curiously named "Britomart" public transport hub...



to catch the train back to Newmarket and my Hotel - great day!

...-.- de m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment