Friday 20 May 2016

FDIM and the WBB

FDIM 2016 is well under way ...



I gave my presentation, "Occam's Scrip", as part of the seminar series yesterday and I seem to have got away with it! (I'll post copies of both the written paper and the slides online when I get back to the UK). I also sold some copies of my new book during the vendors' event last evening.

Yesterday afternoon, delegates had opportunity to participate in what was billed as "The World's Biggest Buildathon" (WBB), organised by FDIM stalwart Rex Harper, w1rex, (of Tuna and QRPme fame).

The WBB was an opportunity for all to make a simple 20m transmitter, distinguished by the fact that no soldering was required.

Rex and his helpers had done a heroic job to put together 300 kits...


which were passed out to the assembled multitudes


and Rex (and some helpers) gave personal assistance to get everybody going with the 'plug in' build.

Here's Rex in action...


Very soon, some working transmitters were assembled - one of the first I spotted was completed by Harold, ke6ti...


As if all the efforts of yesterday weren't heroic enough, Rex is running another 'regular' Buildathon even as I type - I'll go down and take a look at how things are progressing.

Respect and kudos to w1rex - his contributions to FDIM over the years continue to amaze!

...-.- de m0xpd

Update:

Rex has produced a detailed write up of the event - you've gotta see his fleamarket 'chicken shack'!



No comments:

Post a Comment